The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Saturday, March 31, 2007

My world according to David.

When David passes judgment on my character, it’s hard not to listen. He knows me well enough because he stood by me through thick and thin, and more appropriately, whether he’s thick or thin. Last January, he said something that really bothered me:

“You know what you are, you’re a closet conservative! Think about it. You worked for a Republican think tank, you hang out with Tories and you’re elite. Whatever you do, you always land with conservatives.” (Ty 2007)

I wanted to punch him in the face, but I was nice enough to let it go since it was our last night out. Also, I was still in a conciliatory mood then because I ditched our dinner a few days back in lieu of another social function.

Two months later, I think I want to concede David’s analysis for the following reasons, and it got me contemplative ... and a bit scared:

  1. I am more likely to support David Cameron instead of Gordon Brown. His social responsibility rhetoric sells to me, even though this has been overplayed by New Labour already.
  1. I find the “youth’s” fashion statement outrageously raunchy. I know bohemian fashion is (well, supposed to be) a sign of resistance from snooty couture, but hot pink leggings with four inches short denim skirts matched with ‘ballerina shoes on methane high’ (Evangelista 2006) are simply unacceptable. Basic standards of decency imposed by the ruling elite (except Paris Hilton) are transgressed.
  1. Lately, I find myself willingly performing traditional gender roles and not bitch about it. The only thing that bothers me is my substandard performance.
  1. I firmly believe Sanjaya Malakar made it to the next round because of the South Asian bloc vote. And it's stupid. And please, Jade Goody was not racist.

Okay, David. We may not agree on post-movie analyses, value judgments on allegedly racist stand up comics and why A4 is better than Letter but you win on this one.

---

Evangelista, Patricia (2007) Text message to Neeks. Seattle’s Best, Rockwell.

Ty, David (2007) “You’re a closet conservative!” in The Last Night Out, Starbucks, Rockwell

3 Comments:

  • I'd pick Letter over A4 any day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 AM  

  • hola! nangangamusta lang, hindi ko na nasubaybayan ang iyong blog! how's manchester? have you seen eagleton yet? hehe.

    and para lang related naman sa post ang comment ko, about the bohemian fashion boom, kakairita. coopted na ng mainstream, which is irritating because i actually like drape-y clothes and flats. i wonder if paris hilton knows that real bohemes don't take regular baths and make their own drape-y clothes. haha. :)

    By Blogger katmac, at 3:27 AM  

  • Miss Curato.

    If perhaps a new entry were to be written ("My world according to Pat") rest assured that conservative will only be utilized as an antonym to all relevant description.

    Miss Evangelista

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home