The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I'll Get Back to You

The past year has just been crazy. I traversed Diliman and Ortigas as if they were Columbia Tower and Galleria, and god knows how stressed Mang Edgar has been. In the car, I switch from my oppressive high heels (I wear uber high heels so I can make direct eye contact to Cesar Melo just in case) to trusty flip flops just so I can (attempt to) run from FC parking lot to AS320 to make it in time for class. Even my mind has been perplexed for the longest time – one moment, I’m thinking about ways to increase consumption of hair conditioner and after a while, write a lecture on Thorstein Veblen’s treatise on conspicuous consumption.

This spectacular schizophrenia ends today.

Today is my last day in ACNielsen. I’m done with my juggling act between two distinct and often contradictory planes, that of the corporate, and what Pat calls the humanitarian (aka the academe). I consider myself lucky because I found a corporate job that makes me do things I do best – analyzing and layouting. Yes, I have a color scheme for every presmat and my charts are evenly spaced. I consider myself even luckier because I worked with people I get along with. I’m not exactly a pleasant person. It takes twenimilyen years before I can initiate a decent conversation with someone I just met. That’s why I’m so amazed how it was relatively easy to get along with the residents of the 11th floor. Here are some shout outs to very exceptional people who kept me sane in the past year –


To my mentor, Ollie, needless to say, my stay wouldn’t have been half as pleasant and enriching if it weren’t for you. No one compares to your ability to inspire and motivate people. Thanks for all your advice, from reprimanding lower mortals to wearing pristine white pearls. They’re equally valuable.

To my teammate, Didith, I guess it’s good that we won’t see each other everyday anymore because if we do, we’ll end up obese and bankrupt. Whehe. Seriously, thanks helping me loosen up. I wish you well in New York.

To the Coke Team – You guys set the standard for obsessive compulsiveness (to my non-Nielsen friends, my work will look sloppy when compared to theirs) and turned multitasking into an art. Carsha, who would have thought I’d meet Señorina Palanca again after Italian 11. Because of that fateful Tortilla Fusion date, you’re forever beholden to witness my disasters in that department. Good luck with MBA! Jen, you never fail to surprise me. I’ll miss your spur of the moment, earth-shattering realizations. Ms Sally, It amazes me how someone so accomplished can be so unassuming. I hope we can work together someday.

Pamsio, well, we’ve been missing you for the longest time. I hope we still get to have our quarterly Bizu/Sakae moments. Maybe next time, in Paris? ;p



Chard, thanks for the supplies – videoke, vodka ice and other guilty pleasures. Too bad I’ll miss your wedding. Gelo, I hope Raya grows up kind and calm, just like you. Wag na makikipag-inuman before special occasions, okay? Mike, thanks for the football crash course. I hope your sprain lasts long enough to enjoy your señorito lifestyle and if not, you can always fake it.

Ms Julie, looking at you reminds me how unfair life really is because you literally and figuratively have everything. But then I remember you need to deal with impact analysis and quality initiative issues, and somehow, yin and yang makes sense again. Whehe. But seriously, you should know that we look highly of you, and consider you as one of the best people we can ever work with/for.

Mammers, the only person in the world who gets me every single time, I will miss you the most.

We usually say “I’ll get back to you” every time we are unsure, indecisive or cautious in answering clients’ questions. And because we’re obliged, either due to responsibility or genuine concern, we do get back to them. Now, I’m faced with the queries like “Are you leaving for good? Are you coming back to Nielsen? Are we going out before you leave?” All I can say is, I’ll get back to you.

Thanks for a great year, “people” ;p

5 Comments:

  • It takes twenimilyen years before I can initiate a decent conversation with someone I just met.

    A lack of social skills in an attractive person is much more easily forgiven than the same in an unattractive one. =P

    Wala lang, sharing the bitterness.

    I told you I'd comment and I did. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:24 AM  

  • Yeah nico's right (unfortunately he doesn't have both qualities, haha. Kidding nico!)

    Awww Neeks, feels like you had fun in your stay at AC Nielsen. Shyet, this post just made me feel ur nearing ur departure for UK. :(

    Haaay, masulit na nga ang life with you, hehe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:39 AM  

  • Your leaving for Manchester will seriously threaten my emotional stability. I feel that you should know.

    F loves you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 AM  

  • My F, I mean. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 AM  

  • grabe medyo natagalan akong mag-comment kze had a hard time posting heheheh...senile na ba?!!

    i'd juz lyk u to know that we can't help feeling a loss for letting go a company asset like you hopefully we could grow you on trees and clone associates like you..promise no stir..remember wen i borrowed ur best practice presentation...it was really an honest to goodness recognition of your talents and people like me (though tenured) admit have many things to learn from you...

    hope you will really get back to us..coz can't help to think that u'll be juz one of our seasonal frends..lifetime i hope...

    best of luck and love!!

    -ms. sally of coke team

    By Blogger Sally Martinez, at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home