The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Rebutting Desperately Wanting

Argument: If you don’t know what you want, you end up with a lot you don’t. (Palahniuk, 1996)
Rebuttal: You know what you want when you end up wanting. (Evangelista, 2006)

Argument: You can’t always get what you want. (Jagger, 1961)
Rebuttal: But if you try sometimes, you get what you need. (Jagger, 1961)

Argument: I don’t want to fall for an unapologetic ladies’ man and a committed Tory! (Harper, 2000)
Rebuttal: Every boy is a compromise. (Atienza, 2006)

-----
Jowee Atienza, “Misrepresenting Nicolo’s avatar” in Conversation over Ababu (Quezon City, 2006)
Patricia Evangelisa, YM Status Message (Quezon City, 2006)
Sally Harper, “Size Matters” in Coupling Season 1 (BBC, 2000)
Mick Jagger, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” in Let it Bleed (Decca Records, 1961)
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club (New York: Henry Hold and Company, 1996)

2 Comments:

  • you forgot the other Jagger rebuttal: 'can't get no satisfaction' :D

    By Blogger david, at 1:46 PM  

  • Neither argument nor rebuttal (o, how postmodern): "I want what I don't want. I don't want what I want. And to make things complicated, I don't even know what I want and don't want." (McBeal, 1999)

    It's really nice to have gotten to know someone as geeky and ditzy as I can be. It will surely make our time in the UK that much more fun. I can see us already problematizing issues both profound (the public sphere! globalization!) and mundane (does baby blue go with the whites or the coloreds?). Now, live up to your OCness and start with those preparations. :)

    By Blogger Jonathan C. Ong, at 11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home